Monday, January 5, 2009

Mitch McConnell is an Idiot

Sorry I haven't written anything on the bailouts (plural yes I know) yet.  I'm prepping a huge piece on it, bigger than my Russia one.  I got really behind on the news with the holidays and I don't want to miss any of the viewpoints on the issue.

Mitch McConnell helped push the first bailout because helping homeowners helped him overcome Bruce Lundsford.  Now that the elections are over he doesn't really have to worry about what the voters think.  He's got six years before he comes up again and the political memory of the nation is on average 6 weeks.  I said average in case anyone wants to get upset because they will vote against McConnell next time because of his decision to kill the auto bailout.  If that is you you should probably stop reading anything by either of the publishers of this blog.

Now that Mitch doesn't have to worry about votes he returns to the original conservative views of government that make him completely unpopular among Kentucky liberals and a leading member of the Senate Republicans.  When I write about the auto bailout I am going to herald the leadership of Mitch for killing it, but I would like to take the opportunity now to say that he is both an idiot and a very good politician.

When the voting public has a longer political memory than 6 weeks, when the people of this country hold their politicians responsible for the hypocrisy and flip-flops, when 24 (or 18 in other cases) years in office is seen as a tyranny not a legacy, then we will see a better government.

1 comment: