Wednesday, January 14, 2009

No More Cover Sheets



Great scene from a classic movie.  The linked article discusses a small business that started going paperless.  More companies need to be doing this.  I do everything paperlessly now.  I don't print pictures, I have them on Google Pictures.  I don't buy a newspaper, I read 125 a day with Google Reader.  I don't have a wall calendar, I stay organized with Google Calendar.  I recognize that I am a person and not a business.  Having worked in a law firm before I got to witness firsthand the process of digitization.  We had to make a hard copy of something, scan it into the computer, and mail it.  When we got the return item, we had to scan it and file it.  We had hard and digital copies of everything.  What a waste.  The purpose of digital information is to replace hard copy information.

Even more important is a paperless classroom.  Kids already have better computer skills than the generations before them, let's use those skills and stop cutting down the world's rainforests for algebra homework.  I never did my homework anyway, and so it was a complete waste.  Sorry, Mother Nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment