Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The New Closed Shops

I'm a liberal. I'm a big liberal. I love unions. Protect the proletariat from the evils of corporate irresponsibility. You know the line. I have never liked the teacher's unions. Ever. I don't think that the group operates well. I agree that teachers should be treated well and paid fairly. I think that there should be a group of some sort protecting the educators of our youth. I also don't think that anybody should have a guaranteed job for any reason. Tenure in public schools doesn't make sense to me. Some school districts have tried to use testing results required by No Child Left Behind as a way to keep teachers accountable for their teaching. I think that's a good idea. I think that if a teacher isn't able to get kids to learn the material on those horrible tests then that teacher should have to face penalties. After enough failed tests, they should lose their job. If a factory worker can't do his job, he loses it. If a doctor can't keep patients alive he loses his practice. Good teachers have nothing to fear from these rules and I tire of hearing the teacher's union moan about losing bad teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment