Wednesday, June 18, 2008

This Land is Not Your Land Anymore

Some of the Republicans in the state of Washington don't think that birth should automatically allow for citizenship in this country. I have been to the great state of Washington and I think it's a beautiful place. I just wanted to get that out so that nobody thinks I am aiming my remarks at all residents or citizens of the state.

After viewing the movie Starship Troopers I am intrigued by the concept of having different rights and privileges for residents and citizens. To become a citizen a person must complete at least two years of military service. Citizens get to vote and residents don't. I think that it is an intriguing way to ensure a volunteer army and also to improve democracy. Who is more invested in our way of life than our military and veterans? This particular way of government, however, will almost certainly never occur in this country. I'm not going to say whether or not this is a bad thing, but if you really want to have that conversation let me know.

As it is, one of the core pieces of the American ideal is that every person born on American soil is an American citizen. I know that these Republicans are trying to find ways to limit or prevent illegal immigration, but I think that they're creative energies need to be spent in other ways.

Especially since most of our natural-born citizens can barely pass reading tests much less naturalization tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment